Thursday, August 25, 2011

Artsparkle Judging


As I mentioned in my last post, I was one of the food booth judges for Artsparkle. This was quite fun and I was quite stuffed when I finished, even though I took only two or three bites of each dish. Even with only seventeen booths there was a lot of food, and several booths served more than one dish.

There were two judges. We each graded the food and decor from each booth by whatever criteria we liked, and then ranked our choices for the top three booths in each of three categories. Both of us came to similar conclusions, usually selecting at least two of the same booths in each category, although generally not in the same order. The Art Center took our rankings, assigned points, and came up with the overall number one booth in each category.

Best Taste

My first choice was the Crispy Eggplant Cakes at MBP Distinctive Catering. I am not sure what all was in it except eggplant, but it was three foods stacked on top of each other and held together with a toothpick. MBP had two other items: Cuban Papas Rellanas and Ahi Tuna Tacos. The other judge liked the Relanas and voted MBP second place. The S.O. liked the tuna tacos. So something here for everyone.

My second choice was Peanut Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon from Little Events, another caterer. My third choice was the Pulled Pork Sandwich from Fire by the Monon.

The prize for Best Taste went to MBP.

Best Dessert

My first choice was Dessert Crepes from Jacquie's Gourmet Catering. They put some chopped up fruit and Nutella in a crepe and warmed them in a skillet for a bit. My second choice was Rene's Bakery with a creme sandwich. The "bun" was made of eclair pastry and the filling was a hazelnut cream, similar to Nutella. (There's a theme going on here.) My third choice was Bread Pudding from Northside Social.

The other judge had not ranked Jacquie's and I had not ranked her first choice, but we both ranked Rene's second, so Rene's Bakery won the prize for Best Dessert.

Best Booth Decor

The Art Center had identical booths set up for everyone, so we judged them on how well they had decorated their booths. A few did just the minimum, but several got rather fancy.

My favorite was Little Events which brought a circus monkey statuette holding a sign and custom made circus signs describing their fare. My second favorite was Jacquie's and third was Northside Social/Kitchenette.

Both judges apparently loved the monkey as we both gave Little Events our top ranking and they won the prize for Best Booth Decor.


The event was lots of fun with tons of circus related memorabilia and activities, including the Blue Monkey Side Show, something you have to see to believe. Or maybe not.


1 comment:

  1. I was there working the event for the Art Center - we must have spoke and didn't even realize it. Happy you enjoyed the event!

    ReplyDelete